Sunday, May 13, 2012

Nikon Coolpix P5100 Mini Review

Friends and colleagues have asked me what digital camera I have/use and I thought that even though one of my digital cameras is a bit old, it would be a good time to write my impressions on one of my digital cameras. I have a few digital cameras and the digital camera that I still use occasionally because of it's functionality and size is my Nikon P5100.


You can find lots of reviews on the internet regarding this phone since it is a few years old so I will just write about what I like regarding the camera and what I don't like regarding the camera. For the exact details (specs) of the camera, you can do a search on Google for one of the many reviews.


It is basically a 12.1 megapixel camera with a 3.5x optical zoom with stabilization.


One of the things that I like about this camera is that it combines the ease of a point and shoot (P&S) automatic camera with some of the features of a SLR without the interchangeable lenses.

The first thing that I like about this camera is the size. It is obviously smaller than my D-SLR but has many of the features of my D-SLR. It gives me almost as much control over my picture taking (shutter, aperture, and manual exposure modes). It also has quite a few scene modes that make it as easy to use as a regular P&S camera.

Another thing that I like about this camera is that it supports Nikon Speedlights (flashes). I find this to be a very useful feature because like all digital cameras that I've used/seen, most of them take very good pictures in the sunlight but indoors the built-in flash is lacking.

Something else that I like about this camera is that you are able to use the optical viewfinder as well as using the LCD display to take pictures. I find the optical viewfinder to be great when taking pictures in the bright sunlight since sometimes it is difficult to use the LCD display.

When I purchased this camera a few years ago, my previous Nikon camera didn't support SD-HC so it was limited to SD cards (less than or equal to 2 GB). Now, most digital cameras support the various SD formats so it isn't a big deal.

Here is an example of a picture that I took outside.


Here is an example of a picture that I took indoors using the built-in flash:

I find that it takes excellent pictures outside but like all digital cameras, doesn't take very good pictures inside using the internal flash unless the subject is only a few meters away from the camera. I've had to reduce both image resolutions so that they show up properly on my blog but the original pictures were roughly 4000 x 3000.

The form factor of this camera is also good since it has a sort of a handle/grip on the side of the camera instead of being perfectly rectangular.

One of the things that I like about this camera is that it has a built-in automatic lens protector. When you turn on the camera, the lens protector automatically opens up and when you turn off the camera, the lens protector closes, automatically protecting the lens. With some of the other digital cameras that I've used, the lens protector is basically a circular lens cover that clips to the lens. If you forget to remove it when you turn on the camera, you run the risk of damaging the motor controlling the lens which has happened to me with one of my digital cameras.

One of the things that I'm not too crazy about with this camera is that it uses Nikon proprietary batteries. I have to mention that most Nikon cameras use Nikon proprietary batteries. Unlike with my Nikon D-SLR, with this camera, it does support 3rd party batteries. My Nikon D-SLR only supports official Nikon batteries. I would prefer if the Nikon P5100 supported the standard AA batteries since it has happened where after almost an entire day of picture taking, the two Nikon EN-EL5 batteries that I had with me ran out of power and I still wanted to take pictures.

If you have any questions/comments regarding my experience with my Nikon P5100 (or anything written on this blog), please don't hesitate to leave a comment in the comments section. Please note that comments are moderated and any comments that contain a URL link or hyperlink will automatically be flagged as being spam and will not be posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment