Sunday, August 19, 2012

Unblock-Us Review (comparison between Blockless service)

After subscribing to the Blockless service that I wrote about in about 2 of my previous blog entries, I discovered a new service called Unblock-Us that does the same thing and works similarly (where you change the DNS settings either on your router or your device to use their DNS service) which I decided to try.

The new service (Unblock-Us) in my opinion, after trying it for a few days, is better than Blockless. One of the biggest advantages is that whereas Blockless has 3 country selections (Canada, US, & UK) for Netflix, Unblock-Us has 6 country selections (Canada, US, UK, Ireland, Mexico, & Brazil) for Netflix.

After taking a quick look at UK and Ireland Netflix, they appear very similar so I'm not sure if there is a dramatic difference between these 2 selections. Based on my quick look, Mexico and Brazil offer a lot of Disney & Pixar movies that aren't available in Canada & the US.

I started to watch some of the animated Avengers season 2 episodes which aren't part of the Canada/US selections on my Android tablet. I've also watched one of my favourite Pixar movies (The Incredibles). The only thing I noticed about watching the Brazil or Mexico selection is that there is additional ending credits (with voice credits for the different language track) and for the selections that I've tried there were either different subtitles (in Portuguese or Spanish) or a different soundtrack/voicetrack (Portuguese or Spanish).

Both services (Blockless & Unblock-Us) cost roughly the same (~$5.00) and both work based on the same technology (change your DNS settings to use their DNS). They also both offer 1 week free trial offers.

If you are an avid Netflix user, for the additional country selections I would go with Unblock-Us.

There might be some things that Blockless does better than Unblock-Us but based on my quick usage (and since my primary usage for this type of service is to watch Netflix), I prefer using Unblock-Us.

Netflix doesn't work with both Blockless and Unblock-Us when using my LG Smart TV Upgrader ST600 box. I suspect the reason for this is that it only works on what is considered "portable" (or mobile) devices. Both services work fine with my iPhone 3GS, my Android phone, my Android tablet, my Chromebook, my netbook, and my computers.

I am still able to watch the different country selections of Netflix on my television by attaching my Android tablet (via HDMI cable) to my television set. The DNS configurations for my LG Smart TV Upgrader ST600 box are set to the DNS settings provided by my Internet Service Provider.

EDIT: For part 2 of my review on Unblock-Us, please check out my blog entry on Sunday November 11, 2012 (click *HERE*).

EDIT: To get the most out of Unblock-Us, please check out my blog entry on Monday January 7, 2013 (click *HERE*).

If you have any questions/comments regarding this blog entry, please don't hesitate to leave a comment in the comments section. Please note that comments are moderated and any comment that contains an embedded URL link will be flagged as being spam and will not be posted.

5 comments:

  1. Hey, this is Nate from Blockless. Great review, well written and informative.

    We have been on the fence about adding a Latin America location for a while, but this post convinced us to do just that. As of this morning Blockless now has Latin America!

    We also noticed, as you did, that the Ireland Netflix selection is just about the same as UK, so we see cant see much justification in adding that location just yet.

    If possible, could you email us so we could try and get your LG Smart TV Upgrader working with Blockless? With so many devices its hard to acquire them all ourselves, but we can unblock it remotely if you have time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nate from Blockless for reading my blog entry and commenting on it.

      I took a look at the Blockless website and do see the Latin America option within Netflix. :-)

      I actually wrote an earlier blog entry on Blockless: http://lmcjipo.blogspot.ca/2012/07/watching-us-netflix-while-outside-of-us.html

      I actually did e-mail your technical support department and they were very helpful in fixing the issue with my Android tablet & phone not working properly with Netflix and your service but they were unable to help with my LG Smart TV Upgrader ST600 box.

      I will try to e-mail them again when I get a chance.

      Delete
  2. Managed to get my LG Smart TV Upgrader Box to partially work with the Unblock-Us service. I haven't tried it with the Blockless service but since the 2 services work based on the same technology, I don't believe that there will be a problem getting the LG Smart TV Upgrader Box to work with Blockless as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since there were a few additions to the Unblock-Us service (addition of new countries for Netflix), I created a new blog entry on Unblock-Us *HERE*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great article. The DNS option is better than using a VPN regarding content streaming because you can achieve direct connection with the media station ex. Netflix and avoid the “middle-man”. Personally, I am using UnoTelly which is similar to Unblock-us. Perhaps you should check UnoTelly as well if you haven’t done so.

    ReplyDelete