Monday, June 10, 2013

Blackberry Q10 Dislikes (or Blackberry Q10 Review - Part 2)

For my initial impressions of the Blackberr Q10, please refer to my blog entry entitled "Blackberry Q10 Review (Part 1)" located *HERE*.

I've been using my Blackberry Q10 for about 1 month now and I thought that I would write some of the things that I don't like about it in this review. Before I go ahead with this, I just wanted to state that I'm not a Blackberry fanboy nor am I a Blackberry hater. As you can see from some of my other reviews on cellphones, I have/use many different phones and find things that I like about each of them and things that I don't like about each of them. I will probably write another blog entry about the Blackberry Q10 in terms of what I like about it in a few weeks.

As of the date that I'm writing this blog entry, the current software release available for the Q10 is 10.1.0.273 (OS Version is listed as being 10.1.0.1720) and I have all the latest default programs installed on it.

The first thing that I don't like about the Blackberry Q10 is that the Contact sync is problematic. The "main" contact list that I use on all my smartphones and tablets is derived from Google Contacts and the Blackberry Q10 syncs with Google Contacts via CardDAV. It synchronized the first time when I set up the phone without any issues but after the initial sync, regardless of whether there was a change done to one of my contacts on Google Contacts or on my Blackberry Q10 itself, it would not synchronize the change that was done (or would do it very rarely since I have noticed it working properly once).

The second thing that I don't like about the Blackberry Q10 is related to the current Facebook application (v 10.1.0.78). Unlike the version of Facebook that I was using on my Blackberry Bold 9700, the current version of Facebook doesn't allow users to add a place if it doesn't exist when using the "Check-In" feature.

The third thing that I don't like about the Blackberry Q10 is also related to the current Facebook application and that is even though one of the options is supposed to notify you when one of your friends has a birthday, it doesn't work. I've set this option to notify me at 9:00am on the day of my Facebook friend's birthday and it has not notified me of my friend's birthday even when their birthday is listed on their Facebook page. This also doesn't work properly in the Blackberry Playbook.

The fourth thing that I don't like about the Blackberry Q10 is that the "Remember" application (that in some way replaces the "Task" application on the older Blackberries (such as the Blackberry Bold 9700) doesn't have a re-occurring task feature. You can set the due date for the reminder but you can't make the reminder automatically remind you again (for example next month).

The fifth thing that I don't like about the Blackberry Q10 is that most of the programs that I used on my older Blackberry Bold 9700 are not available for the Blackberry Q10. Hopefully this changes as time passes.

The sixth thing that I don't like about the Blackberry Q10 is that it didn't come with the holster that my Blackberry Bold 9700 came with. However, RIM/Blackberry hasn't included a holster in many of their phones recently. Even if you get a Blackberry holster for your Blackberry Q10, unlike with the Blackberry Bold 9700, the Blackberry Q10 doesn't seem to have the "in holster" notification profile.

The seventh thing that I don't like about the Blackberry Q10 relates to what I see as a bug in the Blackberry Hub and that is it appears as if the Blackberry Hub will randomly disable some/certain items from appearing. I've seen this documented on the internet and I've also experienced it first hand. For example, I have 3 e-mail accounts configured, 1 Facebook, 1 Twitter, Phone Logs, BBM, Text Messages, LinkedIn, & Voice Mail and in Hub Management I will notice that certain items will disable itself at random when I go back into the Hub Management.

As mentioned, I'm not a Blackberry fanboy nor am I a Blackberry hater. I will be writing an upcoming blog entry on what I like about the Blackberry Q10 in a few weeks.

If you have any questions/comments regarding this blog entry, please don't hesitate to leave a comment in the comments section below. Please note that the comments are moderated and any comment which contains a URL link (whether it is embedded or not) will automatically be labelled as spam and will not be posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment