Monday, October 20, 2014

Unblock-Us Review (Updated)

There have been a lot of changes since I wrote my original Unblock-Us review *HERE*, *HERE*, and *HERE* that I thought that I would revisit the topic by mentioning some of the things that are currently changed/updated/improved.

I use Unblock-Us mainly for Netflix and I find that it excels in allowing users to switch the country of Netflix so users can view the Netflix offerings in different countries. When I first wrote my review of Unblock-Us back in August 19, 2012, Unblock-Us allowed users to switch between 6 Netflix country offerings (Canada, US, UK, Ireland, Mexico, and Brazil). As of today, Unblock-Us subscribers can toggle between 19 Netflix offerings (Argentina, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Columbia, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, US, and UK). Regardless of the country selected, the majority of Netflix offerings are available in English. I did encounter some offerings where there was no English audio available (ex: animated movies or foreign television/movies).

Having the choice between all those Netflix country offerings allowed me to watch all of Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy or all of Sam Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy since for licensing reasons, Netflix doesn't have the entire trilogy in one country. As an example, for me to watch the Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy, I switched the Netflix setting on Unblock-Us to Luxembourg and watched "Batman Begins" and then watched "The Dark Knight". However, to watch the last of the Batman trilogy, I quickly switched the Netflix country on Unblock-Us to Canada in order to watch "The Dark Knight Rises". Please note that this example uses the Netflix country movie offerings at the time of my blog entry. Netflix often moves their movie selections around. I did something similar in order to watch Sam Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy.

Another change/improvement since my original Unblock-Us reviews is that Unblock-Us now offers a VPN service included in their Unblock-Us service. The VPN uses Point to Point Tunnelling Protocol (PPTP) so certain devices that don't use PPTP for VPN unfortunately can't use their VPN service. Having the VPN option is good since changing the DNS settings may be easy when it comes to your own home network but for certain wireless networks where you have to log into a website in order to access the internet, it isn't possible (or easy) to change the DNS setting on your device after you've connected to their network if you still have to have access to the internet. This is where having a VPN option helps.

I find Unblock-Us to be great for Netflix subscribers. Best of all, they offer a 1 week free trial which you can get information on by going to their website *HERE*.

Unblock-Us supports many sites other than just Netflix but I use them mainly for Netflix. It basically allows you to watch (or listen) to certain videos/songs which are region restricted. Episode videos from American television broadcaster's websites for the most part won't work unless you are in the US but using Unblock-Us, the American television broadcaster's websites that I'm interested in watching do work as does the video episodes from http://www.startrek.com which normally wouldn't work because I'm in Canada.

If you have any questions/comments regarding this blog entry, please don't hesitate to leave a comment in the comments section. Please note that comments are moderated and any comment that contains an embedded URL link will be flagged as being spam and will not be posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment